Ho Chi Minh City – Day 20

Today my aunt and I arrived in Ho Chi Minh city quite early and good thing we had the whole day to spend in the city. Even though I had filed out all the necessary information to obtain a visa on arrival I still had to wait. It took about an hour to get my visa! Once we got to the hotel, we had something to eat before heading out to check out the city! There are so many motorbikes on the road it’s ridiculous and crossing the road was probably one of the scariest things. There is so much traffic, when you get a small window of opportunity to cross the road, you better do it and fast, but remember…traffic is coming at all directions even it’s the wrong way. Another thing to remember is if you are caught in traffic in the middle of the road do not try to avoid traffic because traffic will avoid YOU!  

We started our day by going to the market – it is full of many stalls and shops most of them employed by very aggressive women who want to sell you all the same goods. I got some great deals on a few little souvenirs, which are quite neat. After being in the market for an hour we had to get out. It is just way too overwhelming and claustrophobic, don’t get me wrong it was great when we were in there but after awhile you just need to get out. We walked around the city for a little while, watching all the motorbikes go by and all the people sitting outside on the smallest stools and chairs you could ever imagine. The type of chairs and stools I sat on when I was a child. It was pretty interesting actually. As we were walking on the street something totally shocked me was when this little girl decided to pop a squat and take a pee in the middle of the sidewalk, I mean don’t get me wrong I totally get that these types of things happen in the developing world but walking by and it just happening totally through me off.

After we walked around the city and got a little lost but that’s okay, and then we went for lunch. Unfortunately during lunch I broke out in a cold sweat and wasn’t feeling well so after lunch we went back to the hotel and I had to nap. I’m still not feeling the greatest but I have to rest up and drink lots of water so I can experience the city once again tomorrow!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: